Policy Statement for the Safeguarding of Children and Vulnerable Adults
The Diocese of Portsmouth Safeguarding Policies and additional information can be found by clicking on this link:
As members of the PCCs of Brighstone, Brook with Mottistone, Shorwell with Kingston, we commit our church community to the support, nurture, protection and safeguarding of all, especially the young and vulnerable. We recognise that our work with children, young people and vulnerable adults is the responsibility of the whole church community and as well as being fully committed to acting within current legislation, guidance, national frameworks and the Diocesan Safeguarding procedures, we will also endeavour to act in an open, transparent and accountable way in working in partnership with the Diocesan Safeguarding Advisers, Children and Adult Social Care Services, the Police, Probation Services and other agencies to safeguard children and vulnerable adults and assist in bringing to justice anyone who has committed an offence against them.
1. We will ensure that all the necessary checks are made to promote the safe selection and recruitment of ordained and lay ministers, paid workers and volunteers with children, young people and vulnerable adults, and provide the necessary supervision, support and training to them in order that they can undertake their roles effectively.
2. We will respond without delay to every concern raised that a child, young person or vulnerable adult may have been harmed, or be at risk from harm, or about the behaviour of an adult or child.
3. We will fully co-operate with the Diocese and appropriate statutory agencies during any investigation into abuse, including when allegations are made against a member of the church community.
4. We will ensure that pastoral care is made available to children and vulnerable adults and their families and to any member of our church community against whom an allegation is made.
5. We will ensure, in partnership with the Diocese and other agencies, that care and supervision is provided for any member of our church community known to have offended against a child or vulnerable adult, or to pose a risk to them.
6. We are committed to reviewing our policy annually, and as part of this, check that our parish safeguarding procedures are up-to-date and relevant.
Our Parish Safeguarding Representative for Children and Vulnerable Adults, and our DBS Identity Validator is: Angela Russell
Phone Number: 07474 987 683 (church office)